Bowne Hall, constructed in 1907 for the Department of Chemistry, was designed by Syracuse University School of Architecture faculty members Revels and Hallenbeck. The building exterior is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Over its 100-year long history, the building has undergone numerous modifications. The only remaining Chemistry laboratories have been relocated to the new Life Sciences Complex, enabling the approximately 17,000 SF of freed space to be used for the consolidation of the other programs in the building. This relocation and consolidation also allowed a larger block of space to be renovated for the Syracuse Biomaterials Institute, a cohesive collection of highly-collaborative faculty from the SUNY Upstate Medical Center and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry.
The design included the renovation of approximately 50% of the building interior into laboratories, classrooms, and administrative space. The design was conceived after interviews and workshops with the many departments occupying Bowne Hall. Ashley McGraw collaborated with Burt Hill on the design of this project.
Photos by John Griebsch Photography