Hinds Hall is a 1950's three-story building occupying a very prominent position on the main Quad at Syracuse University. The multiphase, multi-year reconstruction involved gutting the entire 61,300 SF building and rebuilding a completely new, high-tech interior for the specialized needs of the School of Information Studies (iSchool). Cost of construction was $7.54 million.
The project also included cutting edge technology to serve the needs of the school. While there were no radical change in appearance to the exterior of the building, masonry restoration work was executed, and new energy-efficient windows were installed throughout.
This reconstruction project spanned three years. During design, the third floor was temporarily reconstructed as an office and classroom floor to accommodate the growing programmatic needs of the University.
While maintaining occupancy, the building’s interior was gutted by floor from the top down, providing existing and new services within existing chases due to the complexities of the two way concrete slab construction. Select exterior components, such as windows and louvers, were replaced.
One of the highlights of the project was construction of an additional floor system within an existing occupied portion of the building. This new floor was developed as the Dean’s office space.
Throughout the project, Ashley McGraw and its design team was able to maintain continuity of personnel. During this same period of time, the University underwent three campus project managers, two Directors of Campus Planning, Design and Construction, two iSchool Deans, and two Chancellor changes.
Photos by John Griebsch Photography